Death analysis of a cohort of blood, lymphatic cancer and breast cancer patients who have developed heart failure following cancer treatment

Robyn A. Clark, Alexandra McCarthy, Munir H. Chowdhury, Narelle Berry, Shahid Ullah, Bogda Koczwara, John Atherton, David Roder

    Research output: Contribution to journalMeeting Abstractpeer-review

    Abstract

    Background
    Cardiotoxicity resulting in heart failure (HF) is a devastating complication of cancer treatment. We profiled the characteristics of the patients who died within a cohort of blood and breast cancer patients who had an index heart failure admission after chaner diagnosis.

    Methods
    Linked Health Data for the period 1996-2009 from Queensland Cancer Registry (QCR), Death Registry and Hospital Administration records for HF and chemotherapy admissions were reviewed.

    Results
    During the time period of analysis there were 1,062 deaths in this cohort (51.4% Female), 882 (83.1%) blood and lymphatic cancer (41.8% Female), median age was 68 years (IQR 59-75) and 61.5 years (IQR 54-70), respectively. Blood cancer patients who had an index HF admission had increased risk of all-cause mortality (HR 1.74, 95% CI, 1.42-2.13] and 1.31 [95% CI, 1.04-1.65] after adjusting for age, sex, marital status, country of birth and number of chemotherapy doses and 1.67 times higher for the combined group. Index HF admission occurred within one year of cancer diagnosis in 51% and 27% of blood and breast cancer patients respectively (Total 78%), while 73.6% and 64% died (all-cause mortality) within one year of index HF admission.

    Conclusion
    All-cause mortality was higher in blood and lymphatic cancer patients than breast cancer in adjusted analysis for covariates. Heart Failure developed quickly after cancer treatment. Up to three quarters of the deaths occurred within one year of index HF admission.
    Original languageEnglish
    Article number109
    Pages (from-to)S55
    Number of pages1
    JournalJOURNAL OF CARDIAC FAILURE
    Volume21
    Issue number8
    DOIs
    Publication statusPublished - Aug 2015
    Event19th Annual Scientific Meeting Heart Failure Society of America -
    Duration: 26 Sep 2015 → …

    Fingerprint

    Dive into the research topics of 'Death analysis of a cohort of blood, lymphatic cancer and breast cancer patients who have developed heart failure following cancer treatment'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this