Targeted pharmacotherapy after somatic cancer mutation screening

Thomas M. Polasek, Karen L. Ambler, Hamish S. Scott, Michael Joseph Sorich, Peter A. Kaub, Andrew Rowland, Michael D. Wiese, Ganessan Kichenadasse

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

11 Citations (Scopus)


Many patients with solid tumours are treated with targeted pharmacotherapy based on the results of genetic testing ("precision medicine'). This study investigated the use of targeted drugs after OncoFOCUS™+ KIT screening in patients with malignant melanoma, non-small cell lung cancer and metastatic colorectal cancer, and then audited the results against the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines. Patients who were not indicated for targeted pharmacotherapy did not receive such treatment (99%, 100/101). Of the patients indicated for targeted drugs, 79% (33/42) received treatment according to NCCN guidelines. In 48% (20/42) of these patients the results from OncoFOCUS™+ KIT screening were required for targeted drug selection, with the remaining 52% (22/42) prescribed drugs independent of the screening results for various reasons. This study highlights the growing importance of precision medicine approaches in directing pharmacotherapy in medical oncology.

Original languageEnglish
Article number1551
Publication statusPublished - 2016


  • Bevacizumab
  • Dabrafenib erlotinib
  • Malignant melanoma
  • Metastatic colorectal cancer
  • Non-small cell lung cancer
  • Oncology
  • Precision medicine
  • Targeted pharmacotherapy


Dive into the research topics of 'Targeted pharmacotherapy after somatic cancer mutation screening'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this