The Dutch United East India Company ship Zuiddorp vanished on its way to Batavia in 1712 - its last port of call was the Cape of Good Hope. After its wreck was found on the Western Australian coast, archaeological investigations resulted in the retrieval of 21 lead ingots. Recent study of this artefact assemblage, comprising both great pigs and pieces, suggests that they were of north English origin. Historical records indicate that the Dutch procured large quantities of lead from English sources and maritime trade links between English and Dutch ports were well established at the beginning of the 18th century.
|Number of pages||17|
|Journal||International Journal of Nautical Archaeology|
|Publication status||Published - Mar 2013|
- 18th century
- Lead ingots